UWeb is a modern web design tool aimed at the average user. We make it easy to create your first website – no coding experience required!
Let’s start by creating your first project using an existing template.
1.1 Starting Your First Project
- Click on the New Project button in your Dashboard
- Select a template to work from
- Give your project a name (this will also be the domain name)
- Click Create Project and the builder will automatically launch
Please note that the name you choose for your project will reflect its domain: project-name.uweb.io – don’t worry, this can be changed at any time.
1.2 Customizing Your Website
We wanted to create an app that gave users the ability to build a website, from start to finish, without having to touch any of the back-end code. All of the complex scripts and background plugins are automatically implemented for you when you drag and drop that feature onto your website!
In order to accomplish this, UWeb has made it possible to edit directly on the page, in real-time. Adobe’s Dreamweaver calls it “live editing,” we call it just another feature.
There are a number of features that we’ve implemented which, when used together, will allow you to take full advantage of the UWeb engine; but first, let’s briefly overview the basics: Layout, Elements, Inspector, Pages, Settings and Code Editor.
Don’t worry – you don’t need to know this stuff yet. In fact, you don’t really even need to know this stuff at all. It’s there if you want it – but can also be very useful when you use it.
- Layout: Manages each individual section of your page. Separated by rows, you can drag and drop objects to fully customize each section.
- Elements: Your objects library. Drag and drop media objects, headers, rich text, icons, forms, buttons and everything you can image – directly onto the page.
- Inspector: This is where you can customize each element and fine-tune it to your needs. You can add shadows, backgrounds, text styles, borders, margins and more!
- Pages: Manage and navigate the different pages of your website. Further attract an audience with SEO settings, available directly in the Pages panel.
- Settings: Builder auto-save and editor settings. Project framework, template and theme settings (Advanced Users).
- Code Editor: Each UWeb website is based on a powerful platform that combines complex websites into three easy-to-read tabs of code.
The centralized bootstrap framework works to combine all of the advanced, back-end scripts and automatically includes them in your website. Instead of thousands of messy, unorganized lines of code, your entire website can be created using three easy-to-learn web files: an HTML tab for the current page you’re editing; a CSS tab for the global stylesheet that sets the appearance across all pages; and a JS tab for global scripting throughout your entire site.
The base code for each website is simplified and understandable by any level of user – whether you’re a beginner, a seasoned coder or an senior developer.
Read More: Customizing your first website
1.3 Previewing, Exporting and Publishing
The bottom bar contains everything you need to preview, save and publish your newly created website to the web!
- Preview: Open a live preview of your website in a new window. Edit your website to work perfect with every modern browser.
- Download: Export your website as a ZIP file and save it to your computer.
- Publish: Share your website to the web. From here, you can see your website’s live domain name. Already have a server? Deploy it directly to your (S)FTP server in seconds.
- Device Mode: Create your website, for every device at once, in real-time. Set the Builder’s view to Mobile, Tablet, Laptop and Desktop – and watch as your responsive website adapts instantly.
- Save Project: Saves all of the changes that you’ve made to your website – to the cloud.